Need a good brain-teaser for your group? The Bridge is a the perfect activity for small groups of 4-5 people. This activity was created by our good friend Guido Cremonisi from Italy. The Task is for teams to create a free-standing bridging using the custom-knotched dowels.
- For teams to create a free-standing bridge using custom-notched dowels.
- You will need one Bridge for every 4-5 participants.
- Create an open space for play that is free of obstacles and debris.
- Give each group one set of The Bridge pieces.
- Instruct them to create a free-standing bridge that has four points of contact with the ground using only the custom-notched dowels.
- If you have more than one group working on this task at a time, a natural element of competition will emerge.
- Once groups have completed the task, debrief the experience.
- You can combine two sets of The Bridge to make one larger Bridge. This can create excellent dialog and metaphor for working well with other groups/departments/teams, etc. Build a bridge!
- Teams have 20 min. to accomplish the task
- Debrief: 10-20 minutes
- Bridges are built by people for people.
- Bridge builders must work with and through others - they have to work in teams. How do we bridge the gap between work teams?
- Teams work effectively when relationships are good.
- Relationships connect people - as do bridges. Bridge builders have to create people bridges in order to create physical bridges.
- The structure of our own personal bridges consists of our relationships and links with others.
- Use this activity for those dealing with grief: Rainbow Bridge, How to Bridge the gap between the living and those that have passed on.
- Bridge builders understand that they have to be creative in bringing together the experience, understanding and disparate ideas and skills from different groups of people.
- Builders of physical bridges depend on learning from practical experience - from finding out what works and what doesn't work. When bridges fail people can get hurt. How do we make sure we build a strong bridge?
Check out our Tabletop Bridge, too!